Log in

claiming surgery as a medical expense for taxes - Trans Canada [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Trans Canada

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

claiming surgery as a medical expense for taxes [Sep. 1st, 2013|12:37 pm]
Trans Canada
Hey folks,

I had top surgery in April of 2012 with Hugh McLean in Mississauga. (Great experience, and I'm quite happy with my results!) I claimed it as a medical expense when I filed my taxes, and now my medical expenses are being reviewed. Basically, I'm being audited, and have to provide documentation. I have receipts, so supplying those is no problem. I'm not sure what other documentation they might be looking for. All I have other than the receipt from the clinic is a copy of the official form to change my sex on my birth certificate (for Nova Scotia, where I was born), signed by the surgeon and notarized.

Has anyone else claimed surgery as a medical expense on their taxes and then had it questioned? What documentation did you have to provide, and what was the outcome?

In case any of this is relevant, I live in British Columbia. Top surgery is covered in BC, but I was initially turned down by the assessors on the basis of unrelated mental health stuff (PTSD relating to sexual abuse when I was an adolescent). After getting strung along for a while, I found out I had no chance of being approved for another year, and would then be at the bottom of the lengthy waitlist whenever I did finally get approved. I also wasn't feeling great about what I'd heard about the BC surgeon's fat phobia. Around this time, my mother inherited some money after my grandmother died, and she offered to give me a portion of the inheritance money to pay for surgery with Dr McLean.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to give me!

(Deleted comment)
From: einsideout
2013-09-02 03:32 am (UTC)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: spitpolished
2013-09-02 01:47 am (UTC)
I have had a similar experience. (Surgery with McLean and claimed it on income tax). I got audited that year. The receipt in itself was sufficient- and had no hassle then, nor since. :)
(Reply) (Thread)
From: einsideout
2013-09-02 03:33 am (UTC)
Phew, that's good to hear. Thanks.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: aki_no_kaze
2013-09-02 05:05 pm (UTC)
as said above, get a note from your surgeon stating it's medically necessary, also try and find the sections on medically necessary expenses for the relevant tax codes (federal or provincial), it is unlikely you will need these, but good to have to quote in case you need em.

If you e-filed then a audit is just going to be a check for recipt most likely.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: idlehander
2013-09-02 08:14 pm (UTC)
I was audited after claiming my top surgery back in 2005. I submitted the receipt from the surgery centre and that was sufficient.
(Reply) (Thread)